These cute cakes are a dream to make and even dreamier to eat! It’s super important that you use an UN-GREASED non-stick baking pan to ensure that your shortcake comes out clean and fluffy!
Stuff you’ll need:
Measuring cups and spoons
Spatula and cookie cutter
Electric mixer / stand mixer
Rubber brush for simple syrup
Food processor/blender for blending the sugar
1/2 cups granulated sugar (blended into a fine powder with food processor)
1 cup cake and pastry flour
Pinch of Himalayan salt
12 egg whites (room temperature)
1/2 tsp custard powder
1/3 warm water
Simple syrup ( see our recipe on Bits and Uncle Bobs)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cswGgEf2QYk
Fresh cut strawberries
1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Add warm water and custard powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until combined.
3. Add room temperature egg whites and mix until soft peaks.
4. Add 1/4 sugar to the bowl and mix on high until your batter reaches stiff peaks.
5. In a medium bowl, mix together the remaining sugar, flour, and salt.
6. Sift and fold in your flour-sugar mixture, careful to not deflate the batter.
7. Gently turn out your batter onto a non greased 9x13 pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
8. Bake for 20-25 min, until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Cool cake upside down for 30 minutes before removing from the pan, let gravity do all the work!
10. Using a circle cookie cutter, cut shortcakes out of your big cake.
11. Brush the top of your shortcake with simple syrup, top with fresh strawberries and don’t forget the whipped cream!! YUM!!